Sunday, December 12, 2010

MollyToo is renamed: MollyMoo

Got milk? MollyMoo sports a milk mustache after feeding.
The Nigerian Dwarf goat Jennifer's middle kid, from this litter of triplets, was doing just fine with the name MollyToo, until I took the time to watch her in action. Since her little sister, Kendall, gets knocked away from the nursing bar by her bigger sisters, I've taken to pulling one or another of the sisters back for some playtime so that Kendall and the other sister can dine undisturbed. Such intervention does not occur frequently, but even with my butting in once or twice a day I've noticed the bigger kids have taken to their playtime with me--once they're suitably distracted from the milk bar.

Today Miss MollyToo was in a fine feeding frenzy. Grunting and gurgling, her little tail wagging, she fed with gusto. Then, when she stepped back, she had a prominent milk mustache; it was very cute, I thought. Thereupon, she became MollyMoo. She's Gateway-cow-colored and feeds as heartily as any calf. The name fits. Welcome to our herd, little Miss MollyMoo!

Given opportunity, 8-month-old Graham proves that old habits die hard.

No comments: