Thursday, December 30, 2010

Keet on the Lam

A female keet checks out her new digs. The dizzying array of fencing contains her.
Despite my sloppy efforts to surround the new keet enclosure with fencing and such to tighten the openings, the top was not fully enclosed by the time I placed the dog crate and its keets into the trailer t'other day. As such, I was not too surprised to find that one of the keets had found its way out into the wider world. He seemed happy to explore the sunshine and snow, so I watched for a few minutes. His vocalizations revealed his sex--male--which makes him less of a catch than if he were female. After all, we have the Guinea cock, Lawrence, who I imagine will take on this brood when they come of size to wander.

Adolescent keet on the lam.
Although I gave chase for a few minutes, the bird eluded my net and ventured next door, so he's now on his own. He may come back to his flock, but he will have to survive our dogs to join them. As he was scuttling across the driveway to Theresa's, Mr. Luther loped up to check out the unfamiliar bird. The big doggie looked mighty interested in the feathered tasty tidbit.

Strange, I can trust him around the chickens and Lawrence. I wonder what it is that "tells" the dogs which birds are fair game. (My yelling does not seem to do it--especially not where the still-puppy Biscuit is concerned.)

We're pleased to hear the young keets vocalizing with adult patterns because the "Buck-wheat, buck-wheat" calls reveal the presence of female birds. All Guineas are valuable come tick season, for they are notorious bug foragers, but females have the potential to reproduce without engaging in cock fights should Lawrence decide to challenge them.

No comments: