Monday, January 30, 2012

Cleanup Crew

A cleanup crew standing by for work.
Nature is so amazingly efficient. Every plant, every animal, every atom has a role. Death and decomposition are not ends, but simply an arc in the circle of life. When we humans harvest crops--plant or animal--we absorb nutrients and process mass through our intestines. When Nature harvests, she sends her own cleanup crews. Now when I look across a landscape and spot vultures circling, I no longer see the darkness and ugliness once associated with death. Now I see Nature's workers, stepping in to play their role in the incredible cycle of birth, life, death, and regeneration. This web of life, this partnered dance with its myriad players, it is all beautiful; these are miracles woven by God through nature.

Eggs-in-waiting
Yesterday I had the opportunity to process the second hen of my farming career. As before, her life was taken by other animals; she's too valuable alive for us to kill so early in her life. Again I was amazed by the quantity of ova, all lined up, waiting their turn in the egg production cycle. Each a perfect sphere, neatly encased in tissue, a ball of color and life-in-the-making. For lunch I treated myself to the freshest of meals, these yolks, the soft-shelled egg, and the most delectable liver, cooked gently in a cast iron pan with chopped tomato and a splash of olive oil. The taste was enough to bring a smile of satisfaction that lasted throughout the afternoon. She was a good hen.

I am so thankful for the rich multitude of gifts we get to open daily, living here on our little farm.

No comments: