Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Still Waiting...

Nubian doe Pamela carries her pregnancy low in anticipation of kidding.
Miss Pamela goat, our tri-colored Nubian doe, did not grace us with kids for the New Year. No, she seems content to get the extra attention of an expectant mother while keeping us waiting. It's interesting that she allows the extra attention at this time because both of our Nubian does tend to be a bit standoffish with people the rest of the year.

Yesterday while I whittled away at the fallen branches of the treetop that has been providing the chickens with a roost beside the hay rack, Pamela came and stood with me once--"helping" to hold down the branch I was sawing by steadying it with a forefoot. She seemed to know that I was spending the time tackling this too-long-ignored chore so that I could keep a close eye on her, and she was being obliging. Since I did not finish the job, the hens still have some spots for the night, but we have a growing collection of small branches ready to be used as firewood.

Something tells me that this doe may hold out for some weeks now. While she looks heavy with kid, I did not think anyone was due for another few weeks yet. Late January is when the calendar says we should expect the year's first kids. Until then, I'll stick close and keep an eye on the herd.

No comments: