Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Haying Season

Here's the first cutting of our neighbor's pasture this year.
Haying season is upon us. This past weekend, everywhere I went, folks were cutting hay. All the rains this spring have promoted good growth. Now that we're in a dry spell, farmers are busily taking advantage of the weather.

We're not haying, of course. First, we have no tractor. Second, all of our pasture areas are used for grazing. As fast as the animals graze down the growth, I try to keep them moving. That, in itself, is enough work for me.

Watching tractors crawl across assorted fields is satisfying. Often when I have occasion to pass a cutting in progress, I'll take note of how far the farmer has gotten, then check his progress on my return trip. The whole process is delightful to watch: the ritual dance of farmers upon their land during warm weather.

Haying takes tremendous dedication and effort. I admire those who undertake the task, and I happily feed local hay through the winter and whenever our pastures need to recover.

No comments: