Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cooling Alpacas

'Paca boys crowd around the sprinkler.
This past weekend I brought home a sprinkler for the alpacas from the Farmers' Co-op. Now instead of hosing down the animals as they jocky for position--getting fairly wet and knocked-around in the process--I just set the sprinkler and turn on the water.

The animals appreciate the convenience, too. I will leave the sprinkler running until they have drifted away. I often did not have the patience to manage the hose myself for that long.


Alpaca gals enjoy standing beneath the sprinkler's falling spray.
True, filling the 'paca pools isn't quite the same, but it's do-able. If I could only figure out a way to fill the pools without them noticing, then call them to play in the water. Ha, that's an unlikely dream.
Better, I need to get on the stick and have them shorn. I missed doing it earlier in the season, and now it's getting critical to unburden them of their heavy fleece.

No comments: