Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Beauty of Electric Fencing


The visible wire contains horses with the aid of flimsy plastic posts.
 Recently I purchased some white cord-type electric fence wire from Edwards Feeds. After spending some weeks moving tube panels and cattle panels around the farm, I decided that it was time to simplify. Edwards also had plastic insulators in a two-piece design that we haven't used before, so we brought home a bag of those as well. Then I set about setting T-posts and wiring up a spot for the horses.

After a few days of this, including moving the boundaries by adding T-posts, I switched to step-in posts. The Wilson County Farmers' Co-op had step-in posts on sale when I stopped in, so I snagged a bundle and brought them home. 'Twas a brilliant move, if I do say so myself.

Now, instead of pounding T-posts into rock, then screwing on insulators, then setting wire, I simply set the plastic step-in posts where ever I choose. I can move the posts with the wire attached, changing the grazing area with ease.

True, it's quickest when I take the trouble to turn off the fence down at the bottom of the hill; however, when I'm feeling lazy, I find the fence easy enough to move without getting zapped. Being able to change pasture parameters so simply makes me wonder why I didn't try doing this sooner.

No comments: