Sunday, April 22, 2012

Broody Hens & First Hatched Chick

A broody hen sitting in a shipping crate with Pretty Boy the old rooster by her side.
With the overabundance of roosters we have running around this farm, many of our hens appear to be oversexed. By that I mean they sport naked "saddles" on their backs from the frequent mountings by multiple males. Although the Dominicker hens are nearly fully feathered, I've noticed their rooster has stopped being vigilant about being their sole mate; the New Jersey x Rhode Island cross roosters are in on the act these days. Only the flock that revolves around the barn--with its young rooster--appears immune from the flurry of overzealous breeding.

A broody hen inside a dog crate in the yard.
As such, I imagine that the hens who have gone broody, mostly the old Jersey Black hens, find their stint atop the nest affords them a time for healing a bit, too. Not that most appear to be regaining any feathers in the worn-away patches, but the hen who has ensconced herself in the dog crate out front--she is showing some new feathering on her back. I would like to see such progress on the hens who have settled on clutches in the various shipping box planters still available to them.

Kimberly hen with her first chick of the year.
When I stepped into the end stall of the barn this afternoon, I heard Kimberly hen--the Buff Orpington--cooing in the corner feed tub she's taken over in the middle stall. Pursuing the sound, I found her fluffed wide to hide new young from my prying eyes. A "cheep, cheep" emitting from beneath her feathers confirmed my suspicions, so I hung around a bit and soon was able to glimpse our first chick of the season.

LaLa Goose sits atop her secluded nest.
With all the broody hens about, I periodically check each of the four nests I have discovered, we are hoping for a bumper crop of chicks this season. LaLa Goose is also hoping for her eggs to hatch; however, there will be no goslings in her future as this is her second spring without a gander by her side. She has done a nice job of feathering her nest over behind the riding lawnmower. Although I gathered the better part of a dozen goose eggs before she began sitting on her nest, I have chosen to respect her maternal instincts--even though those goose eggs make marvelous meals for the dogs.

No comments: