Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bluebirds?

A bluebird house sits beside our driveway.
A bluebird house sits atop a pole alongside our driveway, just across from the front stairs, just where it was when we moved into this house. Last year I watched wasps colonize the house. Prior to that, some rodent--presumably a squirrel--chewed around the entrance without managing to enlarge the hole enough to enter. We have never witnessed bluebirds set up house in the box until this year.

Hungry baby birds awaiting the return of parents with food.
As I was trimming branches overhanging the driveway today, I noticed the bluebird house. Normally quiet, today the raucous sounds of hungry baby birds wreathed the box with sound. Curious, I stepped closer and was rewarded with the sight of two gaping beaks awaiting their next feeding. Although no parent bird returned when I was nearby, the baby birds sound mighty healthy and I suspect the parents are quite good about keeping them fed.

I love the simple joys of spring.

No comments: