Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hay Again

Haying season has arrived again. When I spoke with our neighbor across the way to tell him how gratifying it is to look out over his pastures each day and to watch him laboring with the harvest, he was glad that someone got pleasure out of his labors. I had actually gone over to share a few of the farm note cards and postcards we've been creating here, since some include views of his land and labors.

Now that his cows are off the hayfield for the season, we watch them moving about in the fields beyond the hayfield. Although more distant, they still feel very much the close neighbors.

Some of the wild weather we've had in May and now in June has been just as entertaining. One evening driving home from enumerating for the 2010 Census in Rutherford County, I felt like I spent more time watching the sky than the road because low-hanging clouds were beginning to churn into a funnel and I had every hope of outrunning any chance of landing in Kansas before reaching home. I do love the winds, clouds, and driving rains. And the portraits drawn across the sky give me great pleasure to watch.

The sky is so big here. She's an ocean unto herself with a colorful pallet of paints at hand to portray her moods. I feel blessed to have such a prime seat for her many shows.

No comments: