Monday, January 11, 2010

Our Caprine Blimps


Misses Thumbelina (lower left) and Jennifer (upper right) are all but capricious these days. I think it was only about a week ago that I noticed their udders filling up and separated them from the herd. Now they positively waddle when moving around. Sure, they get down to the water bucket, over to the hay rack, and in for grain with no difficulty, but their moves are not spritely.

Since this is their second year to bear young, and since they are sooo large, I suspect that at least Jennifer is carrying twins. Thumbelina may be, too.

As a seasoned farmer (a far cry from where I was last kidding season), I assess the pregnancies from the rear--swelling udders and creamy vulvas catch my attention; however, in the interest of my former colleagues who may be reading this, I made a point to capture this top-view photo for the farm blog. Considering that these two gals are normally quite svelte, the top view says it all: these gals are near to kidding.

Either that, or they're in competition with the Goodyear blimp. (Imagine that for a moment. Now doesn't the idea of caprine blimps put a silly smile on your face for a moment?)

No comments: