Monday, January 18, 2010

Canine on the Job


The dogs work hard at night. The are busy keeping tabs on the activities around the farm after dark. Last night they were in a barking frenzy, at a pitch indicating they were confronting an intruder, causing me to step out on the deck to see what I could see. I couldn't see much of anything in the dark, but my nose told me that a skunk had been in the area--not too close, thank goodness, but definitely in the neighborhood.

This morning when I went out, Molly and the pups showed up like they always do, but when Luther showed up he was uncharacteristically dirty. His coat was yellowed and his head was muddied. When he came close to the gate, I understood. Luther was the brave soul who confronted the skunk last night. Luckily for him (and for us), he had not gotten really up close and personal, but he clearly had gotten close enough to regret the encounter. The poor guy must have spent a good deal of the night trying to banish the odor from himself.

I don't notice his skunky odor unless he's right next to me, so he clearly got off easily. I wonder if this will be his last encounter with a skunk? Some dogs learn from such experiences, and Luther is highly intelligent. Will the urge to chase outweigh the desire to preserve his dignity and well being? Only time will tell.

No comments: