Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Water Retention as a Lasagna Bed Layer

Engorged crystals demonstrate water-retaining abilities.
A few years back I heard about water-retaining crystals and found some online through a florist supply shop. Since then the idea has caught on and potting soil often comes with "moisture retention" properties. After we moved here I purchased a good quantity of the crystals that I package up in little jars and tote outside each time I start a new bed or pot. In years past we've mostly employed containers for gardening on this rocky bit of hillside, and these crystals have been invaluable in helping the potted plants to survive.

This spring I'm building lasagna beds with a vengeance. We have a grand store of winter bedding (a.k.a. fertilizer) to use, and I am taking advantage of it. When I remember, I'll sprinkle a layer of crystals near the base of a growing lasagne bed. I try to only do this step when I will be immediately following through with adding another layer to the bed; however, the photo above illustrates what can happen when one sprinkles crystals then walks away.

The photo shows a bed I'm building down towards the road--a location that is unlikely to ever get watered. (I generally rely on Nature to water, but during extreme dry spells I have been known to assist those plantings within reach of a hose. Anything outside the front gate is most definitely on its own.) We have had some heavy rains of late which is all the more reason that I ought not to have wandered away with this bed unfinished, especially not after having just liberally sprinkled a manure layer with the fine (dry) crystals. Yesterday as I went out the front gate, the bed adorned with freshly-moistened crystals greeted me, reminding me of yet another task needing attention.

Lest the crystals totally dry out--as they are wont to do in time if left without other moisture-absorbers to assist them--I shall have to finish layering this bed soon, perhaps this evening.

No comments: