Saturday, July 10, 2010

Oceans of Sky, on and off the farm

One of the things I love about Middle Tennessee is the vast expanse of sky visible from just about anywhere. As I move about the gently-winding roads of this area, practically every turn provides a view worthy of contemplation. Stuck in traffic in town (Note: This is not "stuck" like one gets in the Northeast, rather it means stuck for the duration of a short light cycle until the two or three or four cars ahead of you move along. Here "stuck" refers to moments, not minutes or quarter-hours.) I often turn to the sky for entertainment. Endless variations of cloud formations float by on a continuous stream of air, unless of course the skies are clear, and one can study the variations on the color blue offered on the sky's palette. Driving about Middle Tennessee, I often have the urge to pull over, take up my camera, and capture the land-and-sky scene before me; generally I manage to resist the impulse.

Last December I was stuck in traffic in Brentwood, a city whose rush hour traffic patterns are slowed to a crawl by the congestion of vehicles on the road. Although I was only traveling for a long block, the trip took several minutes--and, whaddaya know, a balloon floated past beneath the scudding cloud cover, entertaining me for the cycles of two different traffic lights.

Although the pictures I compose (mentally, that is, for I see far more "pictures" that I actually record) are generally devoid of power lines and other signs of human-imposed infrastructure,  there are times when such details are unavoidable. That December afternoon was one of the times.

This week I've been touring the byways of Smith, Macon, Trousdale, and Sumner counties for the 2010 Census. The views are more magnificent than I expect my camera can begin to catch, which helps me complete my appointed rounds quickly because I do not pull off to capture and record the magnificent scenery of land and sky. Instead I drive on, my chest filled with the lightening sensations of awe and wonder at all Nature has to offer, and the repeated realization that this gorgeous part of the earth is my home. These views are mine to enjoy on a daily basis, no need to wait for an extended vacation to travel away from home for such scenery.

In those moments when I find myself thinking, "I would like to live here," to enjoy a particular meadow or ridge or hollow, I quickly stop myself. The view from my own front porch, while perhaps less stunning than some, continues to be utterly amazing to me--a gal who spent most of her life in New England, where the beautiful scenery is generally dotted with homes and neighborhoods or found outside of town, and where the sky views are markedly restricted compared to those I enjoy today.

Don't get me wrong. New England is beautiful and I loved the years I spent there. But, Middle Tennessee provides me with breathtaking scenes on a daily basis. We've been here on the farm close to two years now and Nature's scenery never seems to get old, and I do not imagine that it ever will.

For me, Middle Tennessee is the place to be.

No comments: