Monday, December 21, 2009

Icy Mornings


These two photographs document a phenomenon I've not previously encountered. On a series of sub-freezing mornings, when the air temperature registered in the 20's, I encountered these strange ice formations at the base of some plants located near a wall on the property where the Twin Oaks Cattle Company livestock are pastured. The owner, Mr. John Floyd, was kind enough to hire me to feed his lowline cattle on the few days each week when he has other engagements. I enjoy the opportunity to earn money while also learning about cattle and visiting another farm operation.

Since this has been a learning experience for me, on more days than not John is pestered by calls from me--with questions or observations. He's very good about responding and I benefit because he explains ideas clearly and is also a patient teacher. But, I try to limit my questions to situations pertaining to his cattle, so I haven't asked him (or anyone else) about this strange occurrence with the icy plants.

What appears to happen is that when the air is cold enough to freeze water, the moisture inside or along the plant stalks somehow freezes and expands into an almost fluffy white, icy overcoat. The icing is most certainly related to the plant stalks, and I'm aware that freezing water expands, but I've never seen this effect--it's as if Nature is outfitting these plant stalks with lacy, Elizabethan ice collars.

If any reader can explain this phenomenon, please do. I am definitely intrigued by it.

No comments: