Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Love & Excitement in the Air

As the cooler temperatures and brisk winds of autumn arrive, excitement fills the air. I feel more energized and chores around the farm become easier. The goats and alpacas, and the horses and puppies are frisky—bound to break into running, jumping, dancing fits any moment.

Heading down for the mail yesterday, I heard the thunder of hoof beats behind me as the goat girls dashed together as a herd, following my progress until I turned to watch them. Faced by me, they quickly broke out into playful groups; indeed, although head-butting works best with just two participants, I saw them configure into rippling huddles where many animals faced a center spot and all were ready to butt heads.

The alpacas are extremely playful these days. They will all chase each other around the pasture, or chase whoever is handy. I’ve seen the cria Spencer romping lightly after BullyBob. The poor ol’ goat was running full out; he is used to being the bully, not being bullied. With his twisted horns and stinky yellow-brown face, he approached me for help and I became his safety zone. Bully may not like being chased, but he sure can chase when a female goat hangs by the fence.

Today it was Denise the goat who was flirting the most through the fence. Come dinnertime I brought her into the boys’ area and tried to set up a dinner date for her with Whiskey. BullyBob, of course, was hot on the doe’s heels, but I pulled him up short before he could enter her stall. Denise wound up spending dinnertime with three of our fainter boys: Whiskey, little Joshua, and the junior horndog Brad Pitt.

Molly the momma dog appears to be in heat again as well. With nine fast-growing puppies on her heels, and her weight down after momma-ing so many pups, we are doing all that we can to keep Luther the papa dog away from Miss Molly. The puppies flow between both parents, and spend a good deal of time tailing us around the farm, and chasing the geese and chickens with enthusiasm.

Even little Spencer is feeling the fever of love. In addition to his exuberant romping, I’m sensing that he’s coming of age and experiencing his first sexual awakening.This means reconfiguring the alpacas tomorrow morning. I don’t think it is as simple as moving Spencer in with the boys because he’d then be a prime target for the four others to chase. Hopefully we can divide the home pasture tomorrow, and then only rotate the boys into and out of their stall in shifts, while giving the gals the run of the place 24/7.

Thank goodness we have no male horses on the property! We enjoy watching the mares romp around their respective areas, running, bucking, and kicking when the autumn breezes tickle them into action. And Janet, the filly, is becoming much more vocal; her little high-pitched whinny echoes out from their pasture numerous times a day.

I love the fall, and it appears that I’m in good company. So kick up your heels and join us!

No comments: