Monday, March 23, 2009

One, Two, Three, and--I guess--Four

On Friday afternoon, after seeing Gretchen settled into a toddler pasture with Cocoa & Evelyn, Thumbelina, FiFi Mae and Joshua, I headed off to gather up a few more fainter doelings. For the first time, I didn't bother to Google directions; in addition to the directions I receive by phone, having the map laid out for me gives me a better idea of where I'll be going. And, since I routinely confuse Cookeville (which is west of Nashville) with Crossville (which is east of Nashville), I managed to add a good distance to my travels by picking up the first highway given in the directions at a wholly nonsensical spot. Sometimes I frustrate myself.

Once I arrived, I found a pretty farm run by an older couple. They've switched away from the bigger, more aggressive meat goats to the more docile fainters and seem pleased with the switch. The paddocks attached to the barn were easy to reach and the goats came readily once a handful of grain was spilled into their trough. When they showed me the set-up inside their barn, I liked how they had created several straight stalls divided by clean plastic panels, and had heat lamps at the back of the stalls with very young kids in residence. Beyond the heat lamps, the light source was a flashlight; I imagine the stalls are well protected from the elements in winter as I noted few chinks where wind might enter. They kept the animals bedded down directly on the dirt floors and the goats seemed quite content with their surroundings. (Sometimes I wonder about my own use of bedding--is it too much, too little, just right?--and am always learning with every farm visit.)

The three three-month old doelings I purchased are all black and white in color, and each wears a numbered eartag for identification. Thus, I call then by their tag numbers: One, Two, and Three. I also took a doeling who is eight months old. She looks small for her age and her coat is dull and stiff. The couple had accepted her and two older does from a young man they knew who, they said, might have lacked a bit in what he could do for his animals. Also black and white, but with a coat that appears almost coppery-brown (probably from a mineral deficiency), this little goat has no tag and no name. We've taken to calling her Four.

These little goats need names, or at least "Four" needs one. We are open to suggestions and actively seeking naming assistance. Feel free to pitch an idea or two our way.

(Note: Photo shows, left to right: Four, Three, Two, and One, with Joshua in the rear)

No comments: